First off, I hope everyone reading this is safe and comfortable. We’ve all been given an opportunity during this Corona virus lockdown to spend more time with family, embrace hobbies, learn a new skill or if you’re like me, grow a sick, pandemic beard. Aside from to not shaving until this whole thing blows over, I’m going for nice scenic walks, exercising regularly and cooking every meal.
To be safe, Georgia and I have been trying to minimize our excursions into town, and we were stripped pretty low on food. So I scoured the cabinets, freezer, and pantry and managed to put together enough to make a healthy satisfying dinner with enough leftover for lunch. Just because we’re all trapped in our homes doesn’t mean we should let our diets slip. This is an opportunity to get creative with your cooking. Here is what we found:
1 lb. ground turkey breast
1 lb. ground chicken breast
1/4 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
1 package chopped spinach, frozen
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced (Never let a recipe tell you how much garlic to use, you make that decision with your heart)
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1) Add quinoa too small pot with a ration of 1:2 quinoa to liquid. Use water or chicken or vegetable stock for added flavor. Bring to boil, and then reduce heat to simmer and cover for 15-20 minutes. After 15 minutes stir to check if all liquid is absorbed.
2) Sauté onions over 2 Tablespoons of preferred cooking fat until translucent.
3) Add meat and sauté until no longer pink
4) Add garlic and spinach. Cover for 3-5 minutes until spinach defrosts.
5) Uncover and stir entire pot. Once quinoa is finished, add to pot and mix everything together.
6) Season to taste with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper if you like spicy.
Quarantine is no time to let ourselves fall off of our diets and exercise routines. In fact, working from home and a complete disappearance of social engagements, it should be easier than ever to stick to your diet*. We’re all in this situation together. Please keep yourselves and your families safe.
*Unless, of course, you’re playing the triple role of parent, employee, and teacher. In which case, are you OK?
I am committed to this workout regimen for the rest of my life. When you learn about the reasoning behind this workout regimen, you will realize how much sense it makes. It’s so easy to get pumped up for a 20-25 minute workout and to use maximum effort. I used to blow off the gym all the time as I didn’t look forward to a 90 minute workout 3-4 days a week. It’s the best workout anyone could possibly imagine. After most workouts, I literally struggle to walk down the stairs, or raise my arms, I am so physically exhausted. I am in the best shape I’ve been since graduating college.SHARE: Tweet