MEAL PREP: Slow Cooker Chicken Sweet Potato Chili
I’m getting married in October, and I’ve slowly begun to receive wedding gifts, one gift I just got is a truly beautiful slow cooker (Thank you Stewart and Eileen). With all this great stuff arriving at our place, I think I’m starting to understand why people get married. That and love of course (heart you Georgia, you’re the best xoxo).
This new slow cooker makes my old slow cooker look like a piece of crap, so I’m giving it to my future sister-in-law, use it in good health. I really wanted to break in the new machine, so I made a chicken chili. It was easy, healthy, delicious, and made the entire floor of my building smell wonderful no doubt making my neighbors happy with me, hopefully making up for the sea bass fiasco…………. Anyway, I digress
2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
3 medium sized sweet potatoes, skinned and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
4 oz can of green chilies
3 cloves garlic
2 cups of bone broth, I used beef Bad To The Bone Broth which is a high quality, small batch, broth made from only grass fed bones and sold exclusively at InForm Fitness (obligatory company plug)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. I like spicy, and between the green chilies, jalapeno, chili powder, and cayenne, this will be spicy. If you don’t like spicy be sure to seed and rib your jalapeno and skip the cayenne
1 tablespoon cilantro, diced
1 tablespoon ghee or grass fed butter
1/2 cup coconut cream
juice of 1/2 a lime
1) Lay chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Cover them with every ingredient EXCEPT the ghee/butter, coconut cream, and lime juice. Set slow cooker on HIGH for 3.5 hours, or LOW for 8 hours.
2) Watch TV, see a movie, go for a bike ride, take a nap, drive to Boston, do whatever you want to do for the next 3-8 hours. That’s the beauty of slow cooker cooking.
3) After 3.5 (or 8 hours) move chicken and only chicken to a bowl. Add the ghee/butter (this will thicken the sauce giving your pot a more chili and less soupy consistency) coconut cream (the solid white part of a chilled can of coconut milk), and lime. Recover pot and set to HIGH for 20 minutes.
4) Pull the chicken breasts apart with two forks.
5) After the 20 minutes are up, return chicken to pot and stir so sauce is spread throughout. Recover and cook on HIGH for 10 more minutes.
6) Garnish with avocado, jalapeno, and more cilantro. If you’re among the 15% of the population with olfactory-receptor gene OR6A2, and cilantro tastes like soap to you, use parsley instead of cilantro for this and all recipes. Also, I’m sorry, cilantro is delicious if you don’t have that gene 🙁
Nutrition: makes 6 servings
Without avocado; Calories 331; Fat, 12 grams; Protein, 37 grams, Carbohydrates, 18 grams
With 1/2 avocado garnish; Calories 492; Fat, 24 grams; Protein, 39 grams, Carbohydrates, 26 grams
I am committed to this workout regimen for the rest of my life. When you learn about the reasoning behind this workout regimen, you will realize how much sense it makes. It’s so easy to get pumped up for a 20-25 minute workout and to use maximum effort. I used to blow off the gym all the time as I didn’t look forward to a 90 minute workout 3-4 days a week. It’s the best workout anyone could possibly imagine. After most workouts, I literally struggle to walk down the stairs, or raise my arms, I am so physically exhausted. I am in the best shape I’ve been since graduating college.SHARE: Tweet