MEAL PREP: Beef and Chicken and Broccoli
I like Chinese food as much as everyone else does, but when you get Chinese takeout it’s full of crappy oils, crappy ingredients, and leaves you feeling just like it, crappy. Luckily, you can quickly whip up these flavors at home by swapping out their crappy ingredients with quality ones you already have at home(or can easily pick up) For this week’s meal prep I made a healthy spin on Beef and Broccoli (and added chicken because I’m a grown up and can do what I want!) with cauliflower rice. You can buy cauliflower pre-riced, which saves time and cleanup.
Feel free to reach out to me if there are other cultural dishes that you’d like tips on how to prepare in a healthier way. Nutrition is my favorite thing to talk about. I’m a lot of fun at parties………
1 pound grass fed skirt steak, cubed
1 pound organic chicken breast, cubed
24 oz broccoli florets
2 10 oz bags cauliflower rice (or 2 heads of cauliflower)
1 small yellow onion
2/3 cup coconut aminos (coconut aminos are a flavor enhancer that is interchangeable with soy sauce)
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons cooking fat of choice (I use refined coconut oil. Refined means they strip it of the coconut flavor)
1) add oil to large pot over medium high heat
2) add broccoli, spices, and coconut aminos. Cook until broccoli softens, around 5 minutes.
3) add cubed chicken and steak. Cook stirring regularly until chicken is cooked through
4) in a separate pan make cauliflower rice. To make cauliflower rice you can either run it over a cheese grater, which is labor and time intensive (and leaves a huge mess). Or you can run it through a food processor. Just make sure to chop it in brief pulses, if you over process the cauliflower, you’ll get a couscous consistency, which isn’t what you want for this dish. Dice onion and cook in oil until tender. Add cauliflower rice and cook on medium high for 5 minutes until tender.
5) divide meat and broccoli over cauliflower rice