I meal prepped a Mexican meatloaf this week. I added a ton of vegetables to it so that it would be more nutritious. If you are concerned with the higher calorie count in this than in my other recipes, you can switch out the pork churizo with one made with chicken or turkey, or even sub it out for a fatty ground beef. If using ground beef, just do 1.5x each spice to give it more kick. I served my loaf over pureed cauliflower, I’ll include nutritional info skipping that ingredient.
1 lb ground turkey
1 lb churizo sausage (nutritional info reflects pork sausage)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 bag spinach, steamed (let this cool before handling it!!)
1 70z can for diced green chilies
1/2 cup almond flour (my loaf lost it’s shape a bit while cutting, you may want to consider a full cup here)
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tsp chili powder
2 cups salsa
1 head cauliflower
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steam or saute spinach, you just want it to wilt. Let it cool off before you handle it. I don’t want you trying to blame me if you burn your hands on this! While not burning your hands, grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with coconut oil.
2) In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients (other than the cauliflower, garlic cloves, and olive oil). When mixing the ingredients, nothing works better than those meaty hooks at the end of your wrists. Get in there and mush everything together until fully incorporated.
3) Firmly press the mixture into the loaf pan.
4) Wash your hands. You should be washing your hands constantly when cooking. Probably a good policy for life in general. Actually, go wash your hands now, who knows what you’ve been touching.
5) Spread 1 cup of salsa over the top of the mixture. Place the loaf pan onto a baking sheet to catch the grease in case it spills out of the pan. Put in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
6) Chop cauliflower and steam over high heat for 10-15 minutes. Add to a food processor along with the garlic cloves, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Puree until smooth.
7) Divide cauliflower into 6 servings and top with sliced meatloaf. Spoon another 1 cup of salsa over meatloaf.
Makes 6 Servings
No Cauliflower nutrition: 538 calories, 30 grams fat, 33 grams protein, 16 grams carbohydrates
With Cauliflower nutrition: 591 calories, 32 grams fat, 35 grams protein, 24 grams carbohydrates